Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Word of the Day (1-17-12)

Good Morning Everyone

Today is Tuesday January 17, 2012

The word of the day comes from

Joshua 2:12-14

New International Version (NIV)

Joshua 2:12-14

12 “Now then, please swear to me by the LORD that you will show kindness to my family, because I have shown kindness to you. Give me a sure sign 13 that you will spare the lives of my father and mother, my brothers and sisters, and all who belong to them—and that you will save us from death.”
 14 “Our lives for your lives!” the men assured her. “If you don’t tell what we are doing, we will treat you kindly and faithfully when the LORD gives us the land.”

My Interpretation

Now we have been speaking in regards to the book of Joshua and in previous words last week we discussed not being closed minded to where our blessings can come from and also that our reputation will precede us. Today I want to talk about the lasting effect being a man or woman of God can have on an entire family.
One of my good friends at my church, Southern Baptist Church Praise and Worship Center is a girl named Kisha. We both came to Southern within a few months of each other back in 03’. She is one of the most gifted singers, warmest spirits, bright mood, and gifted teachers (though she is scared to admit the last one lol) that you will meet. I have watched her trust God in good times and really bad times yet she is always sharing the love of God with others. If she never mentioned her problems to you, you wouldn’t know to the extent in which she has to trust God but the awesomeness is that you never see it. What makes her stand out more to me is that who she is on Sunday is who she is everyday. How do I know this because of the fruit that her life bares. When we first came it was only her coming, no one else from family. But little by little, that began to change. Her mother got saved and joined the church. Then her cousin got saved and joined the church. Then her other cousin got saved and joined the church. Then her other cousin got saved and joined the church. Then her cousin brought her boyfriend in and he got saved and joined the church. It has been truly remarkable to see. Not that she has done something great or deserves it but the favor of God for her stability, her steadfastness, her durability, her loyalty, her faithfulness and her walk with God has allowed God to show favor on her. She has trusted God against all circumstances and God has rewarded her for it.

Now you are probably asking what does that have to do with the scripture today? Good question? Rahab showed a level of faith in God that honestly doesn’t make sense. Remember we said last week that based on the way she spoke of God emphasizing “your God” and not “her God” that she didn’t have a relationship with Him herself. Yet she was willing to potentially endanger everything she knew because she had a feeling that if she could just help the men of God they would be able to help her. What kind of help was she looking for?

12 “Now then, please swear to me by the LORD that you will show kindness to my family, because I have shown kindness to you. Give me a sure sign 13 that you will spare the lives of my father and mother, my brothers and sisters, and all who belong to them—and that you will save us from death.”

The scripture says she wanted her entire family saved…save us from death. Now in the literal she meant death when the children of Israel were going to capture the land but I saw also a sense of spiritual healing. Remember she didn’t know and believe she could get a prayer heard herself so she went to the men of God. She wasn’t trusting in them but in the God that they served. That is key. She wasn’t trusting in them she was trusting in the God they served. She realized that the choices she made to help the men of God could have a lasting effect on her family. They could all be saved! One of my favorite scriptures is (Acts 2:39 39 The promise is for you and your children and for all who are far off—for all whom the Lord our God will call”) because it gives hope that the promise (the free gift of salvation to all who believe in Jesus Christ as their personal Lord and Savior) is made for not just me but me and my family and those who I am praying for now but haven’t yet accepted Christ but their names are in the book of Life because God knows already that one day before death they will accept Jesus. It’s encouraging.

My friend has lived a life that made her family who didn’t know God for themselves decide to give Him a chance. She risked everything every time she was tested because she had a choice to not be a witness but she allowed God to rise up in her when she didn’t have strength herself. As a result, God showed favor and began fulfilling His promise for them. “Our lives for your lives!” He traded His life for theirs. Rahab’s family would forever be changed because of the choice she made to put her trust in the hands of God. Kisha’s family has forever been changed because of the choice she made to put her trust in the hands of God.



Have a wonderful, blessed, productive, stress free day!

1 comment: