Monday, August 8, 2011

Word of the Day (8-8-11)

Good Morning Everyone

Today is Monday August 8, 2011

The word of the day comes from Romans 5:8

8 But God showed his great love for us by sending Christ to die for us while we were still sinners.

My Interpretation

What I really love about this verse is that it doesn’t show anything that we did. The entire verse is about us without us having to do anything. There are certain times where my brain will begin (to no avail) to wrap around the concept of how much God loves us. Each one of us in our own way I’m sure can attest at some point in time, to feeling inadequate, undeserving, unworthy, not privileged, too guilty, too sinful, beyond help to be in the mere presence of God, let alone know that He would demonstrate the ULTIMATE ACT OF LOVE for us by giving His life for ours. It just doesn’t seem rational.

I can understand God wanting to show love to us but it has to be after we have already shown Him love right? You know how we can be sometimes. We are nice to people who are nice to us. If I am on the defensive about you or feel a way about you but you do something nice to show there is no issues, my guard goes down and we can begin to spark a conversation/friendship. We do it all the time. We have our cliques, our crews, our people and we don’t venture beyond that. We have the people on one side of the street that we rock with it and a whole other side that we could careless what happens to them. It’s sad but it’s true. So Christ showing His love toward us makes sense if it wasn’t for the last part of the scripture (while we were still sinners).

To grasp the full scope of what is being said I need us to really think about what we were like when we were sinners. Some of us cursed God, said there is no God, took His name in vain, went against everything He stood for and did it openly for all to see. We made fun of those who were His children, some of us robbed them, some of us made it our business to taint their daughters. Everything that Paul tells us not to do in Galatians 5:19-21 19 When you follow the desires of your sinful nature, the results are very clear: sexual immorality, impurity, lustful pleasures, 20 idolatry, sorcery, hostility, quarreling, jealousy, outbursts of anger, selfish ambition, dissension, division, 21 envy, drunkenness, wild parties, and other sins like these. Let me tell you again, as I have before, that anyone living that sort of life will not inherit the Kingdom of God, we did.

We didn’t care. We said we were living our lives that we only have one life to live. God was no where to be found yet while He was the furthest thing from our mind, we were the closest thing to His. Just writing it, I’m shaking my head. I don’t even want to lie to you. Saved, sanctified and filled with the Holy Ghost and I still can’t understand/comprehend God’s love to do what He did for us. I mean I understand the reason for it. I know logically the ramifications if He doesn’t die for us. We are eternally separated from Him in hell. But illogically it doesn’t make sense. To have the kind of love that regardless how He would be and still is treated by us, that He would love us enough to come off His Heavenly throne to be here among us. That He would not say a word as He carried His cross to Calvary. That He would still be teaching us love from the cross as He was beaten and tortured. It just doesn’t make sense. Oh what love the man has for me that He would give His life.

Christ didn’t wait like we do to come to Him. You know what we say. After this last…I will come to Him. Christ was proactive regarding our salvation and His love. That kind of love just can’t be downplayed. And you know why… “For the Lord delights in his people; he crowns the humble with victory”…Psalm 149:4 NLT. Thank you Lord for your love! Thank you for the interest that you show in me!

Have a wonderful, blessed, productive, stress free day!

No comments:

Post a Comment